Saturday, August 28, 2010

Fall Semester

Our Fall Semester has officially begun.  The 3 new interns arrived on the 25th (which was pretty funny because for months now, we thought they were arriving on the 24th).  It's been a whirlwind orientation week, while Megan and I have been trying to finish publishing our UCU report.  Today we all went to Jinja to visit the 3 construction projects that Megan will be working on, and then we dropped her off with the Hoyts, an EMI staff family who just moved out there.  We've had 6 girls in our 3-bedroom apartment for the last 2 weeks, so it will be a little less crowded now, but I'm sad that Megan is now gone.  But I'm excited to start up a new semester and get going on various projects.  (Well, I guess I'm going straight from one project to another, but I'm taking Monday off, so I think that will help.)  =)

At the beginning of the week, the water was off for over 48 hours.  That was not fun.  It was the first time the water has been off that long since I've been here.  Everyone here has a water tank that fills and then is used when the city water is turned off, but this was the first time that we actually used up all the tank water.  So that meant no flushing toilets, so washing hands, no taking showers, no doing dishes, etc.  We were really only without water for a day, and even then we could use the office bathroom because that tank hadn't emptied yet, but even that little inconvenience really made me appreciate the constant availability of running water!!  As soon as the water came back on, the power went off for several hours, but that seemed like nothing compared to having no running water!

No comments:

Post a Comment