Monday, May 24, 2010

Obama

The people here are (understandably) obsessed with Obama.  There's even an "Obama's Restaurant and Car Wash" down the street from us.  Today, as I was walking through downtown, I got called "Obama's sister." Ah, the irony.

Matt & Kait arrived safely and miraculously got all their luggage, despite a 30 minute layover in Amsterdam.  (When we arrived, we had a 45 minute layover in London, had to transfer terminals, and got 4 of our 10 bags.)  They had a whirlwind tour of Kampala and EMI, and then Kait, along with Rachel, Josh, and others left Sunday morning for their project trip in Tanzania.  I'm leaving Friday night for my project trip in Kenya.

As part of their orientation, we had a tour of downtown.  This included visiting Watoto Church, home to the world-famous Watoto Children's Choir, which is made up of Ugandan orphans.  We walked in when they just happened to be having a dress rehearsal, and we got to stay and hear them (and watch their super energetic dancing) sing a couple songs.  It totally made my week.  I absolutely love that kind of stuff (and I loved understanding some of the Swahili they were singing), and it's almost impossible to see them perform in Africa because they only do North American and European tours, and don't give concerts at their home church.

No comments:

Post a Comment