Saturday, March 27, 2010

Gomez

Wow, sorry for the long silence.  I know I have a lot of catching up to do, but I'll probably just do short posts because otherwise I know I'll never post anything.  Basically, I spent 3 weeks in Kapchorwa, then immediately went to Kenya for 2 weeks for my main "project trip" of the semester.  I'm helping document and assess the wastewater system for Kijabe Hospital, which is located about an hour north of Nairobi, in the Rift Valley.  I got back from all my travels 3 weeks ago, and since then have just been settling back into Kampala and catching up on all the stuff I need to do (still need to do my taxes!)

One of my Ugandan co-workers is getting married soon, and the day before the wedding is an "Introduction."  This is a traditional event that proceeds a Ugandan wedding (anywhere from a day to a year beforehand), when the two families officially meet each other.  Generally, attendees wear the traditional Ugandan dress to the Introduction, but not the wedding.  So all of us interns have decided to go out and buy a traditional outift!  Today, Megan, Rachel, and I, along with our co-worker Janet all went to a fabric store to buy the fabric and many accessories needed for the outfit.  Tomorrow, we'll go to the tailor and have them make the dress for only $5!  We're excited about our new dresses, and I'll definitely post a photo of all of us at the wedding.  For now, here's a preview.   =D

No comments:

Post a Comment