Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Loaves & Fishes

Saturday, I tried my hand at another homemade bread project.  This one turned out much better than the last (actually edible!), although still not as good as I had imagined.  I made those dinner rolls that you bake next to each other in a large pan so that they end up square on the sides (you know what I mean?), and it took 5 hours! But this project was much easier and less discouraging than the last.  =)

Yesterday, we went on a field trip as research for our upcoming project trip.  We visited a government research fish pond facility.  They were under renovations, as the Chinese government is funding the expansion of their facility.  I didn't really understand what the point of fish ponds were before, but it's basically like having a wheat farm or something, but "growing" fish.  Since people like to eat fish, fish farms can be quite profitable, especially in areas of Uganda that aren't near a large lake.  You buy the fish as "fingerlings," then feed them, and grow them until they're big enough to sell in the markets.  Since it can be done on a relatively small scale, this can be an important source of income for Ugandan families in rural areas.  The research facility is trying to learn new techniques and to be an example to help improve the profitability of small fish farms.  They are also starting to manufacture their own fish feed.  They are hoping that producing more feed will eventually reduce its price, making it cheaper for Ugandans to raise and to buy fish.  It was pretty neat to walk around their facility and see the low-tech, but high-quality, example fish ponds that they have.  The ministry we'll be working with on our project trip is thinking about installing fish ponds on their farm, so we'll get to help design them.

Last night we had EMI girls night, which means me, Janet, and the wives of the 3 male staff.  We had chocolate fondue and had a good time of sharing and hanging out.  I'm glad that I'm starting to get to know the EMI families a little better, so that I feel like I have a little more of a family here than just my fellow interns and roommates (which feels a little like college - but I do love them!)

Tonight we're making fish tacos!  (I just paid $3 for a little brick of cheddar cheese that I know won't be as good as the cheese back home.  Oh well, I'll still enjoy the luxury!)

No comments:

Post a Comment