Saturday, June 12, 2010

Kenya Photos, As Promised

Vicky, from the EMI Colorado office was on my trip to Kijabe and she decided to visit our office for a few days before going home.  It's been fun to have her here because it's almost like a friend came to visit me.  =)  Today we went all over downtown Kampala doing various kinds of shopping and eating.  I spotted some fabric that I think I want to have made into skirts (a popular thing to do here), but I decided to wait to make sure I really want them first.
Vicky & me on safari:


Other photos from my trip:

One of the reasons that the hospital water needs chlorination (the bird is sitting over an open hole into their main water storage tank):

Local kids watching as Jeff inspects a septic tank:

One of the reasons the hospital needed us to evaluate and make recommendations for improving their wastewater system (a sewer manhole that is leaking out the side):

Another reason (broken sewer pipe that is spilling sewage into farms and a creek):

Hospital trash near an old incinerator (we strongly recommended that this be cleaned up):


Jim & Julie with 2 hospital staff under a cool-looking "cactus tree:"

Me standing in a 5-foot hole that was previously dug to help deal with the hospital's wastewater. (The pits, although not currently functioning, would have been about 7% the size they needed to be, so we designed larger oxidation ponds to provide secondary treatment and additional septic tanks to provide better primary treatment of the hospital's wastewater.  I've decided to spare you all by not posting my gross septic tank photos.):

A "Whoville" tree (ref. Dr. Seuss):


Kids outside of a church service:

More cute kids:

The "Poo Crew" (folks who spent most of the time working on wastewater evaluation):

Nick, Vicky, and me (the junior members of the "Poo Crew"):

Some of my new friends, on the shores of Lake Nakuru:



Inside our safari vehicle, at Nakuru National Park:

Cool safari photos:
(Those are flamingos covering the edge of the lake, and zebras on shore.)

No comments:

Post a Comment